Kale, being a Cruciferous vegetable, has shown some very promising Cancer fighting attributes. Kale like its other Cruciferous Veggie Cousins (Cabbage, Cauliflower,Collard Greens, Brussels Sprouts) to name a few, can attribute their cancer fighting ability to a large group of sulfur- containing compounds called glucosinolates.
Glucosinolates break down into biologically active compounds that prevent cancer cells from growing. They are able to stop cancer from spreading by the following actions:
- They inactivate carcinogens.
- They contain antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- They contain anti-inflammatory properties.
- They protect cells from DNA damage.
- They induce cell death (apoptosis).
- They inhibit tumor blood vessel formation.
- They inhibit tumor cell migration.
Kale not only fights cancer but also can assist with detoxification, provides heart support, and can be key in the developing brains of infants. For more information on the health benefits of Kale see the source information noted below.